|Category: Psychotic Dictatorship|
Regional Influence: Squire
The Republic of Boroughgrad is a very large, environmentally stunning nation, notable for its state-planned economy, punitive income tax rates, and stringent health and safety legislation. The hard-nosed, cynical, devout population of 128 million Oxians are ruled without fear or favor by a psychotic dictator, who outlaws just about everything and refers to the populace as "my little playthings."
The enormous, moralistic, socially-minded, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Spirituality, and Defense. The average income tax rate is 74.8%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but stagnant Oxian economy, worth 1.95 trillion Syns a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is quite specialized, is led by the Tourism industry, with significant contributions from Retail, Pizza Delivery, and Furniture Restoration. Average income is 15,225 Syns, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Phone taps are frequently carried out by the police, genetic researchers have been expelled, and tourists from around the world come to visit the country's famous rainforests. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Boroughgrad's national animal is the Ox, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Boroughgrad's influence in Oxiania rose from "Page" to "Squire".
- : Boroughgrad's influence in Oxiania rose from "Shoeshiner" to "Page".
- : Boroughgrad's influence in Oxiania rose from "Sprat" to "Shoeshiner".
- : Boroughgrad's influence in Oxiania rose from "Zero" to "Sprat".
- : Boroughgrad was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Authoritarian and Most Conservative and the Top 5% for Most Extreme, Most Ignorant Citizens, and Most Income Equality.
- : Boroughgrad relocated from The Pacific to Oxiania.
- : Boroughgrad altered its national flag.
- : Boroughgrad changed its national demonym to "Oxian" and its demonym adjective to "Oxian".
- : Following new legislation in Boroughgrad, tourists from around the world come to visit the country's famous rainforests.
- : Following new legislation in Boroughgrad, genetic researchers have been expelled.