“From few, many” Shaykh Burhan
|Category: Corporate Police State|
Regional Influence: Sprat
Location: the Rejected Realms
The Islamic Republic of Burhania is a massive, orderly nation, ruled by Shaykh Burhan with an iron fist, and notable for its teetotalling pirates, compulsory military service, and pith helmet sales. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless, devout population of 4.562 billion Burhanians are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.
The relatively small, corrupt, moralistic, well-organized government prioritizes Defense, with Law & Order, Industry, and Education also on the agenda, while Welfare and Social Policy are ignored. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Xamar. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 32.2%.
The frighteningly efficient Burhanian economy, worth a remarkable 1,244 trillion Gold Dinars a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Information Technology and Retail. Black market activity is rampant. Average income is an amazing 272,736 Gold Dinars, but there is a large disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 1,128,621 per year while the poor average 43,269, a ratio of 26.1 to 1.
People have to sneak out of the country in order to have sex, baseball caps are the new fashion trend, earthquake sirens are a leading cause of hearing loss, and political activists are routinely executed. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Burhania's national animal is the Gold-Horned Gazelle, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its national religion is Sunni Islam.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Burhania was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Armed.
- : Following new legislation in Burhania, political activists are routinely executed.
- : Following new legislation in Burhania, earthquake sirens are a leading cause of hearing loss.
- : Following new legislation in Burhania, baseball caps are the new fashion trend.
- : Following new legislation in Burhania, people have to sneak out of the country in order to have sex.
- : Following new legislation in Burhania, terrified tympanists are finding themselves on the front lines armed only with kettledrums.
- : Following new legislation in Burhania, almost half of the child population live rough on the streets.
- : Burhania was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Fattest Citizens and Largest Basket Weaving Sector and the Top 10% for Largest Soda Pop Sector.
- : Following new legislation in Burhania, disadvantaged neighbourhoods have become no-go areas after sundown.
- : Following new legislation in Burhania, cubicles often double as graves as citizens literally work themselves to death.