“Glory to Byzkorda!”
|Category: Inoffensive Centrist Democracy|
Regional Influence: Shoeshiner
The Republic of Byzkorda is a massive, safe nation, remarkable for its prohibition of alcohol, sprawling nuclear power plants, and daily referendums. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless population of 4.187 billion Byzkordans have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
The large, corrupt government juggles the competing demands of Administration, Education, and Law & Order. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 65.8%.
The frighteningly efficient Byzkordan economy, worth 469 trillion dollars a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a large, well-organized, broadly diversified black market in Arms Manufacturing, Retail, Uranium Mining, and Furniture Restoration. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is an impressive 112,220 dollars, but there is an enormous disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 585,610 per year while the poor average 11,575, a ratio of 50.6 to 1.
The suicide rate mysteriously skyrockets during census years, the nation has dismantled its entire WMD arsenal, a serf by any other name works just as hard, and every week is blindness awareness week. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Byzkorda's national animal is the unicorn, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Byzkorda was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Wealthy Incomes and Most Avoided and the Top 10% for Greatest Rich-Poor Divides.
- : Following new legislation in Byzkorda, every week is blindness awareness week.
- : Following new legislation in Byzkorda, a serf by any other name works just as hard.
- : Following new legislation in Byzkorda, the nation has dismantled its entire WMD arsenal.
- : Following new legislation in Byzkorda, the suicide rate mysteriously skyrockets during census years.
- : Following new legislation in Byzkorda, young children are regularly seen wagering pocket money at blackjack tables.
- : Following new legislation in Byzkorda, immigrants who don't like the taste of Byzkordan Turnip Chips are immediately deported.
- : Following new legislation in Byzkorda, the nation is Balder's leading manufacturer of intricately-patterned sweaters.
- : Following new legislation in Byzkorda, toxic smog is dismissed as the populace just "letting off steam".
- : Following new legislation in Byzkorda, tourists are kicked out if they express interest in their national sport.