“The rougher the seas, the smoother we sail. Ahoy!” Capt'n Vostok
|Category: Iron Fist Consumerists|
Regional Influence: Apprentice
The Swashbuckling Privateer of Chava Cal is a colossal, orderly nation, ruled by Capt'n Vostok with an iron fist, and renowned for its state-planned economy, infamous sell-swords, and ban on automobiles. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless, devout population of 5.263 billion Antarctican Pirate Penguins are kept under strict control by the oppressive government, which measures its success by the nation's GDP and refers to individual citizens as "human resources."
The large, corrupt, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Administration, Industry, and Healthcare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Pirate Supership. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 62.1%.
The frighteningly efficient Antarctican economy, worth 761 trillion Antarctican doubloons a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is an enormous, deeply entrenched black market in Gambling, Retail, Book Publishing, and Arms Manufacturing. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is an impressive 144,693 Antarctican doubloons, but there is a significant disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 422,093 per year while the poor average 39,192, a ratio of 10.8 to 1.
The government sends submarines to retrieve bodies from shipwrecked submarines, catcalling has been replaced by slut-shaming, ratings for schools' curricula range from 'Pure as the Driven Snow' to 'Late Night TV', and pet loving officers arrest citizens who don't give their dogs enough biscuits. Crime is pervasive, perhaps because of the country's complete lack of prisons. Chava Cal's national animal is the Mermaid, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to heavy metals seepage into national waterways, and its national religion is Rum.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Chava Cal was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Wealthy Incomes.
- : Chava Cal updated the World Factbook entry in Penguia.
- : Chava Cal was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Devout.
- : Following new legislation in Chava Cal, pet loving officers arrest citizens who don't give their dogs enough biscuits.
- : Following new legislation in Chava Cal, ratings for schools' curricula range from 'Pure as the Driven Snow' to 'Late Night TV'.
- : Following new legislation in Chava Cal, catcalling has been replaced by slut-shaming.
- : Following new legislation in Chava Cal, the government sends submarines to retrieve bodies from shipwrecked submarines.
- : Chava Cal was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Largest Black Market.
- : Chava Cal proposed constructing embassies between Penguia and Hallyu Sanctuary.
- : Chava Cal's influence in Penguia fell from "Vassal" to "Apprentice".