“All the courage in the world cannot alter fact.”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Apprentice
The Most Serene Republic of Citrene is a huge, socially progressive nation, remarkable for its rum-swilling pirates, complete lack of prisons, and sprawling nuclear power plants. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic population of 528 million Citreneans enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The relatively small government juggles the competing demands of Education, Industry, and Healthcare. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 12.4%.
The frighteningly efficient Citrenean economy, worth 52.4 trillion corentiens a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Information Technology industry, with major contributions from Retail, Book Publishing, and Cheese Exports. Black market activity is notable. Average income is 99,322 corentiens, but there is a large disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 490,984 per year while the poor average 11,420, a ratio of 43.0 to 1.
Cold medicines curiously become cheaper when government officials sneeze, only fully-fledged members of MENSA are allowed to vote, students learn how to disarm mines before understanding basic arithmetic, and the nation's nuclear defence policy is to "turn the other cheek". Crime, especially youth-related, is a serious problem, perhaps because of the country's complete lack of prisons. Citrene's national animal is the bird-of-paradise, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Citrene was endorsed by The Kingdom of Saxoslavia.
- : Citrene was endorsed by The Like of Dependants.
- : Following new legislation in Citrene, the nation's nuclear defence policy is to "turn the other cheek".
- : Citrene was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Highest Crime Rates.
- : Citrene was endorsed by The Holy Empire of King Denver.
- : Citrene was endorsed by The Dictatorial Republic of Illiricium.
- : Citrene was endorsed by The Commonwealth of South Bengal.
- : Following new legislation in Citrene, students learn how to disarm mines before understanding basic arithmetic.
- : Following new legislation in Citrene, only fully-fledged members of MENSA are allowed to vote.
- : Following new legislation in Citrene, cold medicines curiously become cheaper when government officials sneeze.
Endorsements Received: 29 » The Federal Government of Iowa, United Republic Empire, The United Australian States, Laudistan, Lazy valley, Humanitarian Protectorate of Blazgow, Morgannwg Prydein, Aerzhots, Elvid, Yatagasia, Aryus Millitary Junta, Arc Republica, Denmurk, The Ghost Dragons, Thudor, Lanurstia, Zelcho, United SouthLands, Llaudmada, Avalith, Great Republic of Quebec, Parvala, Bulllgaria, Timitina, South Bengal, Illiricium, King Denver, Dependants, and Saxoslavia.