“You Can't Stop Progress”
|Category: Inoffensive Centrist Democracy|
Regional Influence: Apprentice
The Republic of Countdown is a massive, cultured nation, renowned for its barren, inhospitable landscape, parental licensing program, and compulsory military service. The devout population of 3.741 billion Countdownians have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
The medium-sized government juggles the competing demands of Education, Law & Order, and Defense. The average income tax rate is 36.5%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The Countdownian economy, worth 177 trillion guilders a year, is fairly diversified and led by the Information Technology industry, with major contributions from Woodchip Exports, Beef-Based Agriculture, and Arms Manufacturing. State-owned companies are common. Average income is 47,379 guilders, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 3.0 times as much as the poorest.
The media have begun calling the government treasury "Leader's stash", the government regularly reassures citizens that there are no monsters under their beds, the education system is being cleansed of all corporate influence, and broken suspension systems are giving auto repair shops plenty of business. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Countdown's national animal is the crocodile, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to heavy metals seepage into national waterways.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Countdown's influence in Anniki rose from "Squire" to "Apprentice".
- : Countdown's influence in Anniki rose from "Page" to "Squire".
- : Countdown abolished the regional flag of Anniki.
- : Countdown updated the World Factbook entry in Anniki.
- : Countdown resigned from the World Assembly.
- : Countdown appointed Countdown as tgw with authority over Appearance, Communications, Embassies, and Polls in Anniki.
- : Countdown became WA Delegate of Anniki.
- : Countdown's influence in Anniki rose from "Zero" to "Page".
- : Countdown was endorsed by The Republic of Quebecshire IX.
- : Countdown was endorsed by The Republic of I Did Something Bad.