“Free spirits in life and afterlife”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Superpower
Location: The Versutian Federation
|Leader||President Daemon Umbra|
The Inviting Shadows of Ghostopolis is a gargantuan, safe nation, ruled by President Daemon Umbra with a fair hand, and remarkable for its multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, smutty television, and punitive income tax rates. The compassionate, democratic, cheerful population of 16.268 billion souls enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The enormous government juggles the competing demands of Industry, Environment, and Education. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Pallaith. The average income tax rate is 81.0%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The frighteningly efficient incorporeal economy, worth a remarkable 1,792 trillion skulls a year, is quite specialized and led by the Information Technology industry, with major contributions from Tourism and Book Publishing. State-owned companies are common. Average income is an impressive 110,165 skulls, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.3 times as much as the poorest.
Passengers often cause a stink on public transport, sea side cafes are required by law to close during summer, neon signs promoting safe driving often distract drivers, and school children asked "what is two times two?" are likely to form a symposium to discuss how different answers make them feel. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Ghostopolis's national animal is the ghost, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is Reaperism.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Ghostopolis was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Highest Poor Incomes.
- : Ghostopolis was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Developed.
- : Ghostopolis was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Inclusive.
- : Ghostopolis was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Average Tax Rates.
- : Ghostopolis was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Influential and the Top 5% for Nicest Citizens.
- : Ghostopolis was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Extensive Public Healthcare and the Top 10% for Nudest.
- : Ghostopolis was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Best Weather.
- : Ghostopolis was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Lowest Crime Rates.
- : Ghostopolis was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Populations.
- : Ghostopolis was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Developed and the Top 10% for Most Inclusive.