“Twirling Toward Freedom”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Sprat
Location: The Great North
The Republic of Hongi Slandsnea is a tiny, safe nation, remarkable for its burgeoning Sheep population. The hard-working, democratic population of 7 million Hongi Slandsneans enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The tiny, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Welfare, Education, and Spirituality. The average income tax rate is 8.3%.
The strong Hongi Slandsnean economy, worth 432 billion Deniers a year, is fairly diversified and led by the Basket Weaving industry, with major contributions from Gambling, Cheese Exports, and Soda Sales. Average income is 61,768 Deniers, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 4.9 times as much as the poorest.
Crime is relatively low. Hongi Slandsnea's national animal is the Sheep.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Hongi Slandsnea's influence in The Great North rose from "Minnow" to "Sprat".
- : Hongi Slandsnea's influence in The Great North rose from "Zero" to "Minnow".
- : Hongi Slandsnea was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Basket Weaving Sector, Most Primitive, and Largest Cheese Export Sector and the Top 10% for Largest Gambling Industry and Least Corrupt Governments.
- : Hongi Slandsnea relocated from Declansburg to The Great North.
- : Hongi Slandsnea relocated from The East Pacific to Declansburg.
- : Hongi Slandsnea was founded in The East Pacific.