“Beyond the horizon, a reckoning awaits.”
|Category: Democratic Socialists|
Regional Influence: Sprat
Location: Soviet Democracy
The People's Republic of Irrigo is a very large, genial nation, notable for its ubiquitous missile silos, keen interest in outer space, and punitive income tax rates. The compassionate, cynical population of 125 million Irrigoans are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
The enormous, socially-minded government juggles the competing demands of Education, Welfare, and Administration. The average income tax rate is 78.9%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but stagnant Irrigoan economy, worth 1.39 trillion marks a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is highly specialized, is mostly made up of the Trout Farming industry, with significant contributions from Information Technology, Arms Manufacturing, and Beef-Based Agriculture. Average income is 11,087 marks, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Extraordinary tribunals try accused financial criminals, telling someone to 'break a leg' is considered a criminal inducement to self harm, sales of disinfectant wipes have skyrocketed, and the state auctions off combat drones to fund war reparations. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Irrigo's national animal is the ocelot, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Irrigo, the state auctions off combat drones to fund war reparations.
- : Following new legislation in Irrigo, sales of disinfectant wipes have skyrocketed.
- : Following new legislation in Irrigo, telling someone to 'break a leg' is considered a criminal inducement to self harm.
- : Following new legislation in Irrigo, extraordinary tribunals try accused financial criminals.
- : Following new legislation in Irrigo, the state considers itself the 'third parent' of every child in the nation.
- : Following new legislation in Irrigo, every new building project has to undergo a five-year environmental impact study before it can go ahead.
- : Irrigo was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Compassionate Citizens and Most Politically Apathetic Citizens.
- : Following new legislation in Irrigo, the nation's arms dealers guarantee discretion and untraceable transactions.
- : Irrigo was reclassified from "Corrupt Dictatorship" to "Democratic Socialists".
- : Following new legislation in Irrigo, the nation's only university is the School of Hard Knocks.