“No Rights Without Duties; No Duties Without Rights!”
|Category: Authoritarian Democracy|
Regional Influence: Newcomer
|Animal||Lapathiyan Golden Eagle|
The United Communist Republic of Lapathiya is a massive, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by The People with an even hand, and remarkable for its pith helmet sales, daily referendums, and infamous sell-swords. The hard-nosed, humorless, devout population of 1.157 billion Lapathiyans are prohibited from doing almost everything except voting, which they do timidly and conservatively.
The enormous, corrupt, moralistic, socially-minded government is primarily concerned with Defense, although Law & Order, Education, and Administration are also considered important, while International Aid receives no funds. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Madanhoff. The average income tax rate is 82.5%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but inefficient Lapathiyan economy, worth 72.4 trillion Varieds a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a large, well-organized, highly specialized black market in Arms Manufacturing, Trout Farming, and Tourism. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 62,597 Varieds, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.1 times as much as the poorest.
Citizens who don't recite the Pledge of Lapathiya at least three times a day are placed on a terrorist watch-list, people's charity begins and ends at home, Lapathiya is suspiciously populated compared to its neighbors, and the roads are virtually falling apart. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Lapathiya's national animal is the Lapathiyan Golden Eagle, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Lapathiya's influence in Lazarus rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Lapathiya was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Authoritarian.
- : Lapathiya's influence in Lazarus rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Lapathiya was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Valuable International Artwork and Most Advanced Defense Forces and the Top 10% for Most Advanced Law Enforcement, Largest Black Market, and Most Conservative.
- : Lapathiya's influence in Lazarus rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Lapathiya was refounded in Lazarus.
- : Lapathiya ceased to exist in The North Pacific.
- : Lapathiya was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Lowest Crime Rates.
- : Lapathiya lodged a message on the The North Pacific Regional Message Board.
- : Following new legislation in Lapathiya, the roads are virtually falling apart.