“Just Trying Not To Screw Things Up”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Apprentice
Location: The Region That Has No Big Banks
The United States of Lichtenland is a huge, cultured nation, remarkable for its multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, irreverence towards religion, and restrictive gun laws. The compassionate, democratic population of 400 million Lichtenlandians enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The large, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Education, Healthcare, and Administration. The average income tax rate is 59.2%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The thriving Lichtenlandian economy, worth 34.8 trillion Lichts a year, is led by the Tourism industry, with significant contributions from Information Technology, Beef-Based Agriculture, and Book Publishing. State-owned companies are common. Average income is 86,992 Lichts, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Bitter pastors forced to officiate gay marriage 'accidentally' pronounce couples "husband and abomination", signatures have been replaced with illegible scribbles, five-year-olds who refuse to line up on command get gold stars, and luxury condos have arisen from the ashes of demolished houses of worship. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Lichtenland's national animal is the crocodile, which frolics freely in the nation's sparkling oceans.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Lichtenland, luxury condos have arisen from the ashes of demolished houses of worship.
- : Following new legislation in Lichtenland, five-year-olds who refuse to line up on command get gold stars.
- : Following new legislation in Lichtenland, signatures have been replaced with illegible scribbles.
- : Lichtenland voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Commend Trotterdam".
- : Lichtenland voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Protecting Legal Rights of Workers".
- : Following new legislation in Lichtenland, bitter pastors forced to officiate gay marriage 'accidentally' pronounce couples "husband and abomination".
- : Following new legislation in Lichtenland, Saturday morning cartoons feature full frontal nudity.
- : Lichtenland was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Cheerful Citizens.
- : Following new legislation in Lichtenland, school children asked "what is two times two?" are likely to form a symposium to discuss how different answers make them feel.
- : Following new legislation in Lichtenland, the government has instituted 'traveller reservations' across the country.
Endorsements Received: 28 » Yodle, Ardeyn, Endille, The Washington Federation, Danlandea, Redocious, Socialistic Britain, Pifflepoff, United Islands of The Sea, Aya Democratic Republic, Peoples Republic of Peepeeland, Santu Surgo, Partisan Italy, SIDDHARISTAN, Tornnland, Anzaris, Alvnhiem, Burikat, Samstiel, Fey And Co, New United Common-lands, Sanomycromony, Chivka, Dogeiana, Palialus, Liliths Revenge, Tychovo, and Lotarmy.