|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Shoeshiner
Location: The free society of Tic Tacs
The Republic of Maple 50 is a huge, efficient nation, renowned for its barren, inhospitable landscape, frequent executions, and suspicion of poets. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic population of 630 million Maple 50ians enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The medium-sized, outspoken government is primarily concerned with Administration, although Defense, Healthcare, and Public Transport are also considered important, while International Aid isn't funded at all. The average income tax rate is 24.7%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The very strong Maple 50ian economy, worth 30.3 trillion planets a year, is quite specialized and led by the Uranium Mining industry, with significant contributions from Woodchip Exports, Arms Manufacturing, and Furniture Restoration. Black market activity is notable. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 48,112 planets, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.8 times as much as the poorest.
Laws are littered with references to cheese, nudity is frowned upon, the richest citizens live in sheltered private citadels, and foreign policy often involves bullwhips and leather. Crime is moderate, with the police force struggling against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Maple 50's national animal is the puffin, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Maple 50's influence in The free society of Tic Tacs fell from "Page" to "Shoeshiner".
- : Maple 50's influence in The free society of Tic Tacs fell from "Hermit" to "Page".
- : Maple 50's influence in The free society of Tic Tacs rose from "Zero" to "Hermit".
- : Maple 50 relocated from Devide by Zero to The free society of Tic Tacs.
- : Maple 50 changed its national animal to "puffin".
- : Maple 50's influence in Devide by Zero rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".
- : Maple 50's influence in Devide by Zero rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Maple 50's influence in Devide by Zero rose from "Zero" to "Newcomer".
- : Maple 50 relocated from Thrall to Devide by Zero.
- : Maple 50 applied to join the World Assembly.