“From the ruins of tyranny democracy rises”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Shoeshiner
Location: the South Pacific
The Confederacy of Nookington is a huge, efficient nation, notable for its compulsory military service, irreverence towards religion, and devotion to social welfare. The compassionate, hard-working, democratic population of 297 million Nookingtonians enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The large government juggles the competing demands of Healthcare, Administration, and Defense. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Nookington City. The average income tax rate is 53.1%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The very strong Nookingtonian economy, worth 19.6 trillion Nookingtonian Bells a year, is led by the Information Technology industry, with major contributions from Tourism, Door-to-door Insurance Sales, and Beef-Based Agriculture. State-owned companies are common. Average income is 65,905 Nookingtonian Bells, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Kindergarten teachers with ankle-bracelets are closely supervised by their parole officers, a new "thought police" branch is being developed, scenic mountain valleys are flooded with water as damming projects get underway, and copyright laws have been abolished. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Nookington's national animal is the bird, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Nookington, copyright laws have been abolished.
- : Following new legislation in Nookington, scenic mountain valleys are flooded with water as damming projects get underway.
- : Nookington changed its national animal to "bird" and its currency to "Nookingtonian Bell".
- : Nookington voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Wartime Journalism Protection Act"".
- : Following new legislation in Nookington, a new "thought police" branch is being developed.
- : Following new legislation in Nookington, kindergarten teachers with ankle-bracelets are closely supervised by their parole officers.
- : Following new legislation in Nookington, foreign policy is to avoid standing up to bullies.
- : Following new legislation in Nookington, a suspicious number of John Smiths are known to donate to Nookingtonian politicians.
- : Following new legislation in Nookington, intellectual snobbery has the cognoscenti sneering at anyone who doesn't have an opinion on the semiological drift of Umberto Eco's works.
- : Nookington was endorsed by The United Protectorate of Tepertopia.
Endorsements Received: 117 » Wehraboos, Amerion, Tsunamy, Erinor, Qvait, Aumeltopia, Ralphburg, Pencil Sharpeners 2, Avia Lavanda, Barabarom, Corgitopiaa, United States of Vietnam, Madreia, PenguinPies, Farengeto, Land Without Shrimp, New Briantown, The Worst army of, West Pastafaria, Bleakfoot, Sandaoguo, Weryalachiressaraxiatopia, Noveos, Alaninia, Jehenna, Realms of Madness, Tsvetania, Crystal Creation, Hypersensible Crybabies, Sau Man Frescher, Aidenfieeld, 073 039 109 032 080 111 112 112 121, Yeldarbsland, The SpaceNeo-Goryeo Etymological Society, Osterreich-Ungarn-Empire, Kiasu-ism, Japanese Federal Republic, Maerist, Page 53, Trepsit, Noire Denholm, The Solar System Scope, Curlyhoward, Bawkie, Kedjens, Vincent Field, Nowa Europa, Abarri, Shefino, Great Terra and its Dominions, and 67 others.The Tecorogan Federation, Storalia, Starsight, The United Pirate Cities of Flotilla, The Two Jerseys, Hanguk-Nippon, Of South America, Ityme, Theorin, Midand, North Catimestistrianes, Laamiva, Peoples Republic of Columbus, Concrete Slab, The 3rdGodKing, Andinla, Pamela And Hepatitis, Walagya, Yellunstryer, Linden Oak, Southern Numenor, Arkalon, EDeztol, Efferalt, Wardoeka, Myness, Steampunk Engineers, Pi Ttamgwa Nunmul, Sophiana, Enplatia, Aguatania, South Caleblan, Walloonia, Xarbraden, The United Expanse, Markla, Great Novania, Not Austria, Mincestia, Whimichy, South Western Korea, White Bananistan, Maximvs Tarvgvs Rex, Gonrati, Madhonia, Westerlonia, Catillos, Nueva Alta California, B H A R A T, Eastern Nyan, Alfama, Free Rad, Djalia, Uncastania, The Filippinas, Namhines, Volaworand, Coadjuthen, Gecetesse, Ebonhand, Terreno Travato, ChickenDome, Merevane, Philippinia, Ostko, Auphelia, and Tepertopia.