“Freedom and the Hope of Peace”
|Category: Democratic Socialists|
Regional Influence: Vassal
Location: Western Atlantic
The Dominion of Upper Virginia is a gargantuan, safe nation, ruled by Alex Holmes with an even hand, and notable for its keen interest in outer space, anti-smoking policies, and sprawling nuclear power plants. The hard-nosed, humorless, devout population of 21.546 billion Upper Virginians are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
The minute government, or what there is of one, is dominated by the Department of Law & Order, with Industry also on the agenda, while Environment and Social Policy are ignored. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Courtland. The average income tax rate is 1.8%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The frighteningly efficient Upper Virginian economy, worth a remarkable 4,318 trillion Dominion Sovs a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Uranium Mining industry, with major contributions from Information Technology, Arms Manufacturing, and Woodchip Exports. State-owned companies are common. Average income is an amazing 200,448 Dominion Sovs, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.3 times as much as the poorest.
Replacement organs are grown in vats, scenic beaches are now protected by massive concrete walls, coffee-addicted citizens look forward to baristas getting their name wrong at local coffee shops, and drug lords often avoid prison time by teaching "chemistry" classes to underprivileged youth. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force. Upper Virginia's national animal is the eagle, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Upper Virginia was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Highest Disposable Incomes.
- : Upper Virginia was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Longest Average Lifespans.
- : Upper Virginia was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Lowest Overall Tax Burden.
- : Upper Virginia was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Valuable International Artwork.
- : Upper Virginia altered its national flag.
- : Upper Virginia was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Largest Agricultural Sector and the Top 5% for Largest Cheese Export Sector.
- : Upper Virginia's influence in Western Atlantic rose from "Nipper" to "Vassal".
- : Upper Virginia relocated from Lazarus to Western Atlantic.
- : Upper Virginia was refounded in Lazarus.
- : Upper Virginia ceased to exist in Western Atlantic.