They are not used in this regions RP, but that may vary in other regions. Here's a dispatch to explain NS a bit more. (Ignore the stuff about you being in the West Pacific)
A Basic Guide to NationStates 2017
First of all.......Welcome to NationStates and The West Pacific!
NationStates is a world full of regional communities of all kinds, with a wide variety of interests. We hope you will enjoy it as much as we do!
In addition to this quick guide, we recommend you also read the full NationStates FAQ
The in-game FAQ will provide you with more detail than this quick guide.
For more information on game rule details, we also recommend every player read through the One Stop Rules Shop
This vital information can save you from The Wrath of the Game Moderators.
For another excellent FAQ, also see The Almighty NationStates FAQ pinned in the NS Technical forum.
- NationStates was created in 2002 by Max Barry to promote his novel, Jennifer Government. Since then, the game has grown into a community of with thousands of individual players from around the world.
When your nation is created, your nation will start out in a Game Created Region (GCR) known as a “Feeder region”, one of five Regions where new nations are born.
The Feeder regions are:
Other types of Game Created regions include the three "Sinker" regions where nations that have ceased to exist (CTE'd) are 'refounded':
The region where all ejected and banned nations go:
And the Warzone regions:
All other regions are 'founded' by players and are known as 'User Created Regions' (UCRs). Any player can create his or her own region(s).
So, now what?
- After your nation is created, it's all up to you, the player.
How can I stop all these recruitment telegrams?
- You can adjust your Telegram Inbox preferences here.
What are some of your options ?
- You can stay in the Feeder region in which your nation is created, or you can move your nation to a different region.
You might want to review those telegrams from regions that would like to recruit you. Though we'd really be happy to have you stay here.
(note: Some User Created Regions are password protected)
- You can create your own region via the Found Region page.
- You can make decisions on 'Issues' your nation receives. Making decisions on issues is what alters your nation's economy, civil rights, and politics.
Fair warning: NationStates issues tend to be humorous, satirical, and sometimes just plain bizarre. Just as in RL, there can be unintended consequences.
- You can alter your nation's flag and it's motto, as well as it's currency and national animal.
More options will become available to your nation over time:
-===>Capital City: Unlockable with 250 million citizens. #241: A Capital City For @@NAME@@?
-===>Leader: Unlockable with 750 million citizens. #242: Follow The Leader
-===>National Religion: Unlockable with 1 billion citizen #243: A Question Of Faith
(note - it takes about six months to reach 1 billion population)
- You can participate in the discussion on the Regional Message Board (RMB).
- You can telegram other nations.
- You can apply to join the World Assembly.
- About the joining World Assembly: Please be aware that while a player may have more than one nation, a player may only have one nation as a member of the World Assembly at any time. Trying to violate this game rule can get your nation deleted. (Or worse, some Moderators are said to have bad breath.)
- Once you've joined the World Assembly, you can vote on General Assembly and Security Council Resolutions, as well as give and receive Endorsements.
- Once you have received two endorsements, you can submit your own World Assembly Resolutions.
- We recommend you bring Resolution proposals up for discussion on the in-game forum before submitting it. There are many helpful players to assist in getting the proposal ready for submission.
Anything Else to do?
- Oh yes, it all depends upon what interests you.
- - For example, you can join the The West Pacific off-site forum. We'd love to have you participate with us here.
Many other regions, both GCR's and UCR's maintain their own off-site forums, separate from the NationSates forum.
- Join a Government. Many, if not most regions, have some form of Regional Government. Most regions would be happy to have more people participate in these.
- Join a Roleplay. In addition to the RP hosted on the NationStates forum, many regions have their own RP communities.
- Here you can read a list of Useful NS Sites and Utilities
How do I go to war?
- - NationStates does not provide a warfare system, however players do engage in 'military' gameplay operations that generally employ the use of World Assembly endorsements to control a region's Delegacy. This is often known as Raiding and Defending (R/D gameplay.) Speak with a region's military leader for more info, most would be happy to train you.
- You might want to read this Complete Guide to Military Gameplay pinned in the NS Gameplay forum.
- Oh wait, you meant Roleplay war? See the NationStates National and International Roleplaying forum, or the offsite forum of a region that hosts Roleplay.
How can I increase my population more quickly?
- - In short, you can't. Population growth is a set game mechanic that cannot be controlled by the player. Every day your nation exists, it will grow a few million in population. Of course, if your nation ceases to exist (CTE), it will no longer gain in population until you restore your nation.
How do I win the game?
- - Sorry, there are no 'win conditions' line or 'end game' to NationStates, the game is not played on that basis. Although you can compete with other nations to see where your nation ranks in the lastest NationStates Census. Your answers to issues will alter where your nation stands in the rankings. Some regional player communities also hold their own contests and issue graphic awards for winning them.
Anything else I should know?
- Well, probably more that I think to write here. But you might keep in mind:
- - A reminder again....Don’t join the World Assembly with more than one nation. (we don't want your nation to get deleted)
- Do not flame, troll, post racist statements. But really, using common courtesy will keep you safe and respected. Give respect and it will be given to you.
- Your nation will automatically 'Cease to Exist' (CTE) if you haven’t logged in for 28 days. Although you can set your nation to “Vacation Mode” to extend that to 60 days.
- In the event that your nation has CTE'd, you can restore it by simply logging in. You’ll find your nation restored in one of the Game Created 'Sinker' regions :Lazarus, Osiris, or Balder.
Most importantly, have fun and enjoy the game!
AHOY ME MATEYS!
Please join me in WELCOMING our newest friends and shipmates, the Grand Founders and Peoples of:
The Free Land of Madygascar, The Democratic Republic of Greater Phimederesistan, The Rogue Nation of Peachcroftopolis,
The Commonwealth of PewDie BroLand, The Empire of My Friend Paddington, The Empire of Invitican,
The Indomitable Force of Purple Interdiction, Oreovchanii-burjan, The Federal Republic of Minorica,
Birdistania, The Democratic Republic of Flamingo says gwagwa, Dont come here-istan,
Federation of felant, Ferrum Lupus and The Queendom of Noodle soup pie!
WELCOME ABOARD MATES! We're very happy to have you as members of our fine region! Please be sure to read and follow the guidelines given to you in our Welcome Telegram! Also, get a good look at the Occupied and Open Regional Offices dispatch and maybe find yourself a spot that you feel you'd be well suited for and would enjoy! PLEASE drop a line here on the RMB and shout AHOY!
Population: Realm of the Whispering Winds contains 131 nations, the >>> 94th <<< most in the world.
JOIN REALM OF THE BLISTERING WINDS!
Do iiiiit come on
It’s nukes time, people! I want to see ALL the pirates working on the most boomtastic nukes ever, pronto! Let’s make some mayhem!
*edit: If I see any one of you hooligans joining another faction, Realm of the Blistering Winds can and WILL nuke you back to the stone age. Happy trails!