by Max Barry

Latest Forum Topics

Advertisement

Middle Earth RMB

WA Delegate: The Elven Realm of March of Maedhros (elected )

Last WA Update:

World Factbook Entry

Welcome to Middle Earth - Home to Fans of J.R.R. Tolkien's Universe
"Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread.
Through shadows to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight."


All WA Nations are required to endorse the King March of Maedhros.


Quote of the (indeterminate amount of time)
"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying,
The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying.
West, west away, the round sun is falling."

Legolas, ROTK

The Prancing Pony - Bulletins
How to help Middle Earth!
Helpful Links
LinkMap of Middle Earth

Polls & Events
Tolkien RP Group

The Imladris Art Gallery
John Howe
You can find the gallery index here


A day may come when the courage of men fails… Linkbut it is not THIS day!



  1. 4

    (STARTED) (REGISTRATIONS OPEN) Middle Earth Role Play

    MetaGameplay by Dispatch . 34 reads.

  2. 4

    LotR Artist Gallery - A Musical Interlude

    FactbookCulture by Dor caranthir . 28 reads.

  3. 13

    How to help Middle Earth !

    MetaReference by Dispatch . 442 reads.

Embassies: Minas Tirith, Hell, Lothlorien, 10000 Islands, Mordor, The Shire, gondor, Hobbiton, and Middle Earth Roleplay.

Tags: Casual, Enormous, Fandom, Featured, Founderless, and Multi-Species.

Regional Power: High

Middle Earth contains 113 nations, the 147th most in the world.

ActivityHistoryAdministration

Today's World Census Report

The Most Advanced Defense Forces in Middle Earth

Nations ranked highly spend the most on national defense, and are most secure against foreign aggression.

As a region, Middle Earth is ranked 5,846th in the world for Most Advanced Defense Forces.

NationWA CategoryMotto
1.The Elven Realm of March of MaedhrosInoffensive Centrist Democracy“We call the everlasting dark upon us, if we fail”
2.The Natural Union of FringillidaePsychotic Dictatorship“Caelebs”
3.The Free Land of Lady EowynInoffensive Centrist Democracy“Where will wants not, a way opens.”
4.The Brennynin Elenion of LuinilLibertarian Police State“To the feasts of the good the good unbidden go!”
5.The Unexpected Journey of The HobbitInoffensive Centrist Democracy“United we stand, united we fall!”
6.The Desolation of SmaugInoffensive Centrist Democracy“Silver and Gold”
7.The Eastern Kingdom of Dwarven MinesInoffensive Centrist Democracy“Crafting and mining; Tradition must be respected.”
8.The Republic of NoldoriaCivil Rights Lovefest“It is our weaknesses that make us strong”
9.The LOTR Nation of TataricaCivil Rights Lovefest“From Gondolin we came”
10.The Principality of Gruffydd ap LlywelynInoffensive Centrist Democracy“Yay just another 27 to go”
1234. . .1112»

Regional Happenings

More...

Middle Earth Regional Message Board

The Dread Overlord wrote:door-to-door salespeople

'Then about a year ago a messenger came to Dáin, but not from Moria - from Mordor: a horseman in the night, who called Dáin to his gate. The Lord Sauron the Great, so he said, wished for our friendship. Rings he would give for it, such as he gave of old...'

Tatarica wrote:It may not be obvious, but there's definitely a secret Tolkien letter. I am going to say just the following; Orcs are really misunderstood and bullied. All they want is to practice their speech, song, and poetry. You may not have seen in in the texts, but oh how beautiful the voice of some Orcs can be! Definitely, not all have this talent, but .. you'd shred a tear hearing him. Or more tears.

https://youtu.be/YdXQJS3Yv0Y

Thorin Oakenshield wrote:
https://youtu.be/YdXQJS3Yv0Y

The secret's out!

Tatarica wrote:It may not be obvious, but there's definitely a secret Tolkien letter. I am going to say just the following; Orcs are really misunderstood and bullied. All they want is to practice their speech, song, and poetry. You may not have seen in in the texts, but oh how beautiful the voice of some Orcs can be! Definitely, not all have this talent, but .. you'd shred a tear hearing him. Or more tears.

I can't tell if you're making this up or if there really is a letter of his saying this... Either way, I really like the idea of orcs having more to them than simply being killing machines (and not just because I am playing them as my faction in the RP :P )

Thorin Oakenshield wrote:https://youtu.be/YdXQJS3Yv0Y

I've actually never watched this older animated version. I kind of always assumed it was going to be terrible. However, that clip was weird and wonderful and makes me now want to seek it out for a watch!

For the RP I imagine you can make your orcs be whatever you want them to be, Dwarf. I'm sure that no Tolkien estate lawyer will come knocking on your nation's door, asking for you to cease with the storyline :p

As for the letter, I'm sure that if such a letter does actually exist, its hidden from the prying eyes of the world. But then again, for a whole race of orcs, millions upon millions upon millions of them, I'm fairly certain that at least a few in all those millions have some skills in poetry / singing / speech.

Thorin Oakenshield wrote:

'Then about a year ago a messenger came to Dáin, but not from Moria - from Mordor: a horseman in the night, who called Dáin to his gate. The Lord Sauron the Great, so he said, wished for our friendship. Rings he would give for it, such as he gave of old...'

https://youtu.be/YdXQJS3Yv0Y

How can the ring possibly tempt and corrupt someone who is a simple gardener, and desires nothing more?

I think this is my favorite scene of the movie - and dearly wish it had made it into the Jackson movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-piARxy4U

I was thinking about this ‘noticeability of corruption’ question and I think the lesser rings wouldn’t be noticeably evil. The basic premise for me would be that Sauron is an expert deceiver (ergo the nickname Sauron the Deceiver).
The thing is, is that I don’t think we can compare the deception of the lesser rings with that of the master ring. The lesser rings are designed to deceive, I don’t see any reason to expand that to the master ring because it never was supposed to leave his hand. So even if the one ring is good at deceiving it seems to be merely an extension of Sauron’s talent but not a build in purpose of it. I assume that if Sauron focuses a specific element into a ring he can enhances it.
(This might be a wrong assumption and possibly countered with ‘Everything is in the one ring so it does all his character up to 11. Be that as it may that can be countered by saying: sure, but more malice is more difficult to hide.)
I would work on the assumption that the ring strengthens ambition (like Sam and his garden) and that it can turn good ambition into bad outcomes (a bit like how Tzeench in Warhammer can corrupt people who have the ambition to gain knowledge). As such it might not matter so much whether the ring bearing humans were good or evil. They just needed to have some ambition. We know a little bit too little to know the story-lines of the Ringwraiths but we do know that a couple (I think three) where Numenorians. But even that is neither here nor there because we don’t know in what stage of corruption these were prior to the gifting.
It actually does something similar to the dwarves. Their ambition being more singular creates a more singular outcome. I think it is indeed mentioned that they are more resilient, but seems to matter only somewhat, at least that is how I perceive it.
Also: happy to be back in this wholesome little corner of the Tolkien internet realm.

Luinil wrote:I would work on the assumption that the ring strengthens ambition (like Sam and his garden) and that it can turn good ambition into bad outcomes

I agree: ambition or ego is what makes people vulnerable to corruption by the one ring.

There's even a hint of how the ring, hypothetically, might have tempted an Ent:

Treebeard looked at them, and was silent for a while, shaking his head thoughtfully. Then he turned to Gandalf.
'So Saruman would not leave?' he said. 'I did not think he would. His heart is as rotten as a black Huorn's. Still, if I were overcome and all my trees destroyed, I would not come while I had one dark hole left to hide in.'
'No,' said Gandalf. 'But you have not plotted to cover all the world with your trees and choke all other living things.

The Two Towers, The Voice of Saruman

Even trees can be too much of a good thing, if someone's ego pushes them to expand at the expense of everything else.

Poll no. 50 is about books. Which unread book is on your reading list? If several, which book is high on your list?
page=poll/p=161455

Rumours about a future new publication, The Nature of Middle-earth:
http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3727
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/The_Nature_of_Middle-earth
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2020/06/23/108207-the-nature-of-middle-earth-new-book-with-tolkiens-unpublished-writings

Vanyar wrote:Hello.

Hello, and welcome to Middle Earth!

It is quite an occasion for the Vanyar to leave Valinor and visit the fair lands of Middle Earth!

Lady Galadriel wrote:I agree: ambition or ego is what makes people vulnerable to corruption by the one ring.

There's even a hint of how the ring, hypothetically, might have tempted an Ent:

Treebeard looked at them, and was silent for a while, shaking his head thoughtfully. Then he turned to Gandalf.
'So Saruman would not leave?' he said. 'I did not think he would. His heart is as rotten as a black Huorn's. Still, if I were overcome and all my trees destroyed, I would not come while I had one dark hole left to hide in.'
'No,' said Gandalf. 'But you have not plotted to cover all the world with your trees and choke all other living things.

The Two Towers, The Voice of Saruman

Even trees can be too much of a good thing, if someone's ego pushes them to expand at the expense of everything else.

Poll no. 50 is about books. Which unread book is on your reading list? If several, which book is high on your list?
page=poll/p=161455

Rumours about a future new publication, The Nature of Middle-earth:
http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3727
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/The_Nature_of_Middle-earth
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2020/06/23/108207-the-nature-of-middle-earth-new-book-with-tolkiens-unpublished-writings

Forum View

Advertisement