Your Time. Your News
April 8, 1950
The situation in Luding has become violent. Communist guerrillas have engaged federal troops just outside the prefecture limits. We have word that 5 soldiers and 3 police officers were killed in action as they moved back. The troops were given permission to engage the guerrillas. Local journalists have reported that the guerillas used stolen artillery from a local outpost. Locals say the guerrillas massacred the ten police officers guarding the outpost yesterday.
We are getting word that backup soldiers are being rallied from nearby outposts and will be transported in via airplane. They have orders to capture the province and put an end to the uprising. The Kashag has asked for foreign help if the situation worsens.
The borders with neighboring countries have been temporarily closed for 24 hours in order to prevent escape for the Communists. The borders will reopen tomorrow under alternative hours and under increased security.
The Empire Report
After a crackdown, the some local shops and stores have opened to the public in an attempt to ease the fear in Trankvila. The police have been set up in all major consumer areas
Trankvila has called out the nations of Germany, the Frank-Italian Union, Ephyra, and Karthspirije to arrest all members of the terrorist groups responsible for carrying out the attack against the capital of the Empire days prior. They are suspected of having fled to other European nation's borders for protection against prosecution by the Trankvilan Empire.
Unrest in Tibet
In a sudden outbreak of violence, the communists of Tibet have attacked police officers, causing the current violence in which have left 5 soldiers and 3 officers dead. Borders remain closed until a schedule set to be put in place
A new insurgent movement in Karthspirije
It is reported the army is now in a two front war against the KNLI and the FNR. Now the nation is not only gripped by violence over government but over territory that the people thinks belongs to another. As a result of FNR group acts, 2 nurses were injured in a shooting during a visit by the state premier
THE EAGLE SCREAM
1951 - JUNE - 18
| NATIONAL |
A top-priority search for individuals suspected of involvement in the terrorist attack against the empire of Trankvila, responsible for killing the majority of the Trankvilan cabinet, began across the Freehold several weeks ago, and can now be finally announced.
- It is currently unknown how the several suspects arrived in Ephyra, but collaboration between Trankvilan and Ephyral intelligence has produced a list of names and faces for authorities to hunt down. We are now authorised to display these images publicly. If these individuals are spotted, contact local law enforcement immediately.
| INTERNATIONAL |
VIOLENCE IN TIBET
Violence has erupted in Yun Nan, in the Tibetan Empire, as communist elements open fire against federal personnel, with eighteen suspected casualties and more predicted to follow. The government of Tibet has responded to the so-called 'uprising' by flying in more troops to quash the insurgents, whilst borders with neighbouring countries were termporarily closed. The SFLE has issued an amber travel warning, warning against all but the most necessary travel to Tibet and Yun Nan in particular.
EAST INDIES CONFLICT
- Also in the far east, fighting has been taking place in the city of Batavia, the capital city of the Dutch East Indies. Indonesian militias have been engaging with Dutch forces in the city, aiming to take it before Dutch reinforcements can arrive. No other information is currently available apart from the public declaration that Dutch forces have been dispatched to destroy the militias in Sumatra.
- In an amusing circumstance, the Chief Commissar of Karthspire, Arteron Terai, has authorised the re-naming of the western Karthspiri city of Odessa to Teranair in his own honour. A spokesman for the Sphere of Foreign Relations has called the move "an attempt to forget history by aggrandising the defeated".
- The comments refer of course to the Odessa Offensive launched by the SFLE in late 1943 and into 1944, as Ephyral forces with their German allies in the north successfully mounted their first major offensive into enemy territory in the course of war. Odessa was designated the strategic goal of the offensive, to be used as a staging for further activity across the local steppe. Successfully taken by the 3rd Phalanx after several months of fighting, Odessa was given to the soldiers of the 3rd Phalanx as hard-won spoils of war.
- For Ephyra, the taking of Odessa was a morale boost, as the eagle was raised above it and thousands of its people marked for import to the Freehold proper. During the fall of the city, Ephyral soldiers humiliated Karthspire and its people in every fashion. For many, it is no surprise therefore that the Karthspiri government may wish to hide its shameful defeat by re-naming the greatest example of it. However, tens of thousands of Karthspiri reside in Ephyra now as a living and breathing testament to a glorious Ephyral victory.
Your Time. Your News
June 25, 1951
Communists Bomb Temple
In a move to remove all Cultural Buddhist influences, the terrorists fire bombed the Temple of Sherab Chamma in Kangding City, Garze Prefecture, Kham State during the morning chanting services. Casualties are numerous and a full report is not available. The Communists have claimed responsibility. The Library has been saved.
Ice Melt Reveals Texts
A small ice sheet melted at the foot of Everest. Two locals ventured into the cave and found ancient texts that upon investigation show to be from around the first wave of Buddhist monks to visit Tibet. The texts were translated in the Zhang Zhung language and were written in Pali. One text is believed to have come from Ephyral as the languages match up. The manuscripts are being further examined at the Potala Palace by a team of scholars and monks.
The search for bombing suspects in Ephyral has intensified with the suspects believed to have arrived in the country. Tibet has remained vigilant for suspects that may have fled to Tibet and has offered help to Ephyral investigators in hunting the suspects.
Dissidence spreads across the land
Following several months of protest each and every Sunday in the Capital city, worshippers across the country joined protesters in Elinhir who take to the streets weekly in opposition to what they describe as heavy-handed Government action but, which, most of us know as necessary to keep each and every Karthspiri soul safe. Crowds were reported marching through Teranair in the far-west and Kharkiv in the far-east with members of all faiths being reported as having attended the protests; led as sermons by the Karthspiri orthodox church. In eastern cities, many were reportedly members of the nomadic Karthspiri community; relocated to high-quality housing by our Government to protect them from KNLA agents as well as the traditional collection of diseases and barbaric practices which plague their tribal communities.
In response to these protests, the Government is reportedly considering a tightening of the laws which protect clergy members from prosecution regarding anything said on holy ground or during a sermon; allowing them to return order to the nation's streets.
Trankvilan agent of terror arrested
Descariln is, in many ways, the Western gateway to Karthspire; the first city many travellers by horse, foot or car will lay their eyes on when entering our country. Unfortunately for many, strict border controls implemented to protect the Karthspiri people from foreign agents following our nation's independence means that few will see past the walls which protect our nation; let alone lay their eyes upon our cities - newly raised from the fiery embers of the great war.
For a Trankvilan national, arriving at the border this morning, border agents quickly realised his true identity; showing him only the back of a Karthspiri police van and the walls of Descariln city prison. National authorities are sure in the prisoner's identity as a terror suspect involved in a bomb plot in the Trankvilan capital several months prior to writing.
NJF agents have reportedly taken control of the case and currently have the suspect under interrogation with no intention of extradition without prior approval from Terai himself; mostly due to the lack of any formal extradition treaty between the two nations.
Terror attacks kill 50, injure 117
The death count from the conflicts in the country's west continue to climb. Last week, 15 soldiers and 7 civilians were killed in a car-bomb blast in the city of Descarlin in the Beshklarel (Bessarabia) State targeting a military checkpoint in the city; around 50 more were injured by the attack.
In Karpatrije State, 21 soldiers and 7 civilians were killed with 67 more injured in various clashed between KNLA rebels and Karthspiri National Armed Forces soldiers.
With the death toll expected to continue to grow further in coming months, we can only pray that our hopes for peace and our resolve to fight on grow faster.
- First train makes cross-country trip
- Construction of country's first Nuclear plant to begin 'within months' in 'one of the southern states'
- Preliminary plans regarding Church split to be proposed in September
- Tibetan Communist insurrection worsens
- Ephyral are still evil
Selected headlines from Summer 1951
Mysterious Man Arrested for Claiming End of the World in 2024
- A yet-unidentified man ran through the streets of Kaulong with a megaphone claiming to be a time traveller from a far-off land called "Komminland." When asked to stop by the Hong Kong City police, he refused and reiterated his prophetic vision of the end times 73 years from now. He has since been arrested and placed in jail, where he insists that his name is Argus and that he traveled here to warn of the world ending in 2024. Police are trying to ascertain his true identity to no avail. Members of the public are asked to come forward with any information leading to the identification of Argus, and police say they can give "maybe a couple of yun for your time, maybe ten if it's really helpful."
Universal Healthcare Issue Continues to Stall in Civil Advisory
- Almost a year has passed and the Civil Advisory still can't agree on how to handle the universal healthcare issue. When it was originally brought up in the Imperial Court, everyone agreed they wanted universal healthcare but the Advisory's circuit Prefects couldn't agree with the Civil Directors on how to deal with the budget. When the Imperial Court said they were drafting "a better health plan" last year, details were unclear but everyone assumed it would be out sometime soon.
3rd Prefect of Wannam, Kwan Long Tsin, reportedly stormed out of the Imperial Court claiming that the Civil Directorate was working behind the backs of the circuit Prefects and were stealing out of his circuit's treasury. Supposedly, the Civil Directorate is scheming to set up a universal healthcare program of their own design using the funds of the circuits, and when it was already in place nobody but the Prefects would complain and everyone would just let it keep going. The Civil Directorate retaliated, saying that Prefect Kwan was lying to turn the public against the Civil Directorate and that the Board of Prefects are "useless and uncooperative" in actually making the healthcare plan they had promised together.
An investigation on the allegations made in the Imperial Court has started, and the Emperor states that disciplinary actions are pending investigation results.
Season Premiere of Judge Baau Captivates Audiences
- The season premiere of Judge Baau on TV network NCB has enraptured audiences across the country. Based on the works of various Gung'on fiction authors, Judge Baau, played by actor Chan Tsiu Wan, breaks down and unravels the mysterious cases brought to his courtroom. In the first episode, circuit official Chan Tiu Kik is arrested for the murder of four wealthy merchants, but none can answer the crucial question: how? All different MOs, all apparently murdered simultaneously at different places, none other than Judge Baau can unravel the secrets surrounding the case.
Critics rated the first episode quite highly, saying it's a spiritual adaptation of beloved Gung'on tales with new twists for the TV format. Many who did not own a TV before are considering going out and buying one.
Your Time. Your News
August 10, 1951
A Western resident on holiday was shot by communist insurgents yesterday when trying to leave the occupied zone. The foreigner was 20 year old Valerius Etacon. The young man was a university student backpacking across Asia with some friends. The young man's friends were wounded but survived the ordeal when soldiers from the army chased the communists away. Despite the best efforts of doctors at Lhasa Hospital, the man succumbed to his injuries. The body of the man wil be sent back to Ephyral in a matter of days via airplane.
Lamas Host Kalachakra Offering
The Kalachakra Offering Ritual was held in Lhasa last week and was presided over by His Holiness. Lamas from across Tibet and some foreign dignitaries were in attendance for the yearly offering ritual. The Kalachakra is a massive ritual where the events of the world are seen as inner psychological changes. This year the Civil War was seen as the inner strife within us all.
His Holiness Turns 16
His Holiness, the 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyaltso turned 16 years old today. HH held a small dinner with his family, close friends and some members of his cabinet including the Venerable 10th Panchen Lama and the Venerable 33rd Kyabje Gyalwa. These three leaders are considered possibly the youngest with the Dalai Lama at 16, Panchen Lama at 13 and the Kyabje Gyalwa at 22. The nation celebrated his birthday with prayers for a long life. We here at Tibet News wish His Holiness a long and happy life.
Dissidence in Karthspirije
Massive insurrections have spread across the land of Karthspirije to the point where the government is cracking down. The KNLA is alleged to be starting the insurrections. The Orthodox Church has also been involved in the protests through giving sermons.
Various Cerman News Outlets - 15 August, 1951
Cerma Launches Artificial Moon
Top Hill, Wednesday, Aug. 15 -- The Cerman Department of State announced this morning that it successfully launched a man-made earth satellite into space yesterday. The Cerman Central Aeronautics and Space Agency stated the satellite's orbit was at a maximum of 560 miles above the earth and its speed at 18,000 miles an hour. According to CASA officials the artificial moon, with a diameter of twenty inches and a weight of 201 pounds, was circling the earth once every hour and thirty-five minutes. This means more than fifteen times a day. Two radio transmitters, CASA said, are sending signals continuously on frequencies of 20.005 and 40.002 megacycles. These signals were said to be strong enough to be picked up by amateur radio operators. The trajectory of the satellite is being tracked by numerous scientific stations across ATCO.
"For several years the research and experimental designing work has been under way in Cerma to create artificial satellites of the earth." Said Chief Public Officer John Clayton of CASA, "As a result of intensive work by the research institutes and talented employees here at CASA, we are proud to announce this artificial earth-world satellite has now been created."
The announcement said that as a result of the tremendous speed at which the satellite was moving it would burn up as soon as it reached the denser layers of the atmosphere. Clayton gave no indication how soon that would be.
The Empire Report
Regino leaves for Karthspirije
Following the arrest of one of the individuals responsible for the attack against the Trankvilan capital, the Regino has gone towards Karthspirije & her overlord Germany to negotiate a plan to bring him home for justice against the Empire
New Animated Film Hits Record Box Office Success
The Empire recently saw the release of a new hit movie "The Tales of the Wolves" following the dramatic telling of the famous novel series of the name written by acclaimed writer Luis Gonzalez about the founding of a nation populated entirely by animals and a struggle against humans. It has been praised by critics and has soared to number one, with even Regino Mary praising the film along with getting her own copy of the film in advance
Cerman Artificial Moon
The Cerman Central Aeronautics and Space Agency (CASA) has reported of launching their own satellite into orbit. Chief Public Officer John Clayton had this to say
"For several years the research and experimental designing work has been under way in Cerma to create artificial satellites of the earth. As a result of intensive work by the research institutes and talented employees here at CASA, we are proud to announce this artificial earth-world satellite has now been created."
Western Tourist Dies in Tibet
An Ephyra citizen was shot to death by Communists in the occupied zone along with his traveling companions following tension between Communists and the Tibetan state. As a result the Regino has ordered all citizens return to Trankvila from Tibet
Universal Healthcare Bill Stalls in Namjyut
Conflict in the nation of Namjyut as the issue of universal healthcare again hits a brick wall following disagreements with how to proceed in the nation
THE EAGLE SCREAM
1952 - FEBRUARY - 15
| NATIONAL |
PROVINCIAL POLICE TO TAKE OVER MURDER CASE
After a fourth body was discovered in the south of Old Ephyra today, the investigaiton of the crimes has been elevated from local to provincial control, with the Selia Province Police Command taking authority. The move comes following the discovery of the body of a freeborn woman of citizen background four days ago, since identified as Maelella Gelonia Astaros. Astaros, aged 28 at the time of her death, has been confirmed to have been working as a prostitute having registered with local authorities three years ago. The circumstances leading to her doing so are not yet known, but Astaros' profession of choice is what she shares in common with three other murder victims in the last few weeks.
- Nuha Salib, Lynara Kosteres, and Helaekalia Nymeris, aged 24, 32, and 27 respectively, were found dead in alleyways adjacent to the streets they are believed to have been selling their bodies on. Astaros, the first citizen-born victim of these murders, was discovered in a similar fashion to the other victims, stripped and with severe abdominal wounds believed to be the cause of death. local Ephyral police made three arrests, but all suspects were released as Nymeris, 27, was found dead whilst all three suspects had been in custody.
- Before authority of the case was passed up, a spokesman for the local Ephyral police addressed the murders publicly, stating "it is our belief that these killings are motivated by the obscene profession of these women - a campaign of cleaning. However, murders such as these cannot be permitted to continue, as they present a clear danger to all residents of our city, and to our social trust and order. All lines of investigation are being pursued to bring this murderer to halt."
- Currently, no witnesses have come forward with information about the killings.
Wednesday - 20 February 1952
Destroyer named in honor of Great War hero launched
Having been ordered in 1946 and laid down last year, the newly-commissioned destroyer KPV Vimion Laerennis was formally launched on Tuesday evening in Sinope, flanked by an elaborate ceremony orchestrated by the Pontic Maritime Force. The vessel, originally designated Melkatos during the early construction phase, has been billed as the first step in an ambitious naval re-armament program aimed at bolstering and modernizing the Pontic fleet in the wake of the devastation wrought by the Imperial Russian Navy during the early war years. The decision to commemorate the late General Laerennis, who was killed in the Russian siege of Trebizond whilst in command of the Pontic Ground Force's 5th Army, was finalized whilst the recently-completed destroyer awaited its illustrious shakedown cruise. Laerennis' wife of 38 years and four adult children, as well as a sizeable crowd of veterans from the very battle which claimed his life, were present as the ceremony got under way.
Queen Haehra hospitalised
A spokesman for the royal family in Trebizond confirmed last night that Her Majesty Queen Haehra, former queen consort to King Sparaekon IV and grandmother of King Vatharion IX, was admitted to the Princess Daenora Memorial Hospital pending treatment for a chest infection. While further details were declined to keep in line with the wishes of the dowager queen, who celebrated her 99th birthday last month, we have been assured in no uncertain terms that Her Majesty is in good spirits and expected to be back at the palace within the week.